Ipati was fortified for the first time in Hellenistic times. Parts of this fortification have been found in many places around the Castle and the modern settlement. The fortification was renewed in the early Christian era by Emperor Justinian (527-565 AD). In 869 AD, for the first time, Ipati is referred by the ecclesiastical synod with the name Nea Patra. In 1393 it was occupied by the Ottomans under the leadership of Sultan Bayazit.
Remains of this castle are preserved to this day.
Historical Period: Byzantine Era
Access: At the eastern entrance of Ipati, we take the provincial road to Agia Kyriaki. After a few meters we head west. The road at the beginning is paved.
Car Type: 4x4 up to one point
Opening Hours: No Restrictions